Nurse Practitioners have four years of postgraduate training, must pass a national certifying exam and are registered to practice by the North Carolina Board of Medical Examiners. These key healthcare professionals work under the supervision of our physician at Novant Health Farrington Family Medicine. These Midlevels can prescribe many medications, perform some minor procedures and provide many other important services. They frequently:
- Conduct routine health histories and physical examinations.
- Diagnose and treat acute health problems such as infections and injuries.
- Diagnose, treat and monitor chronic diseases such as diabetes and high blood pressure.
- Order, perform and interpret diagnostic studies such as lab work and X-rays.
- Prescribe medications and other treatments.
- Provide health maintenance care for adults, including annual physicals.
- Promote positive health behaviors and self-care skills through education and counseling.
- Collaborate with your regular physician and other health professionals as needed.